restringing question

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Sat, 25 Nov 2000 23:55:10 -0800

I'm curious -- How easy/hard is it to change the number of strings per note
on a few notes when you're restringing a piano (but not replacing the plate
(of course!) or pinblock)?  For example maybe there's 2 wound strings per
note in a section and the technician wants to change it to 3 plain, or 1
wound to 2 wound.  My family has an old Hallet & Davis 52 1/2" upright
(serial #107906 made in 1921) which has 1 string per note from A1 to B15, 2
strings per note from C16 to A#26, 3 strings per note from B27 to C88.  It
needs some work (new hammers, bass strings (probably all strings) replaced,
tuning pins seem to still be holding tune but was almost 1/4 step out of
tune after about 2 1/2 to 3 years of sitting), basically a minor rebuilding
job.  If I changed the stringing scale, I would extend the 2 strings per
note down to A13 or G11 (currently lowest 2-string note is C16) -- what
would be your advice on that?