restringing question

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 15:16:35 -0500

You have had good advise here.  What I would do is evaluate
the scale and definitely rescale the bass.  If there is a
hook back on the treble bridge I may put two to six wound
notes in the middle section if I can get substantial
"improvement" by doing so.  Changing the monochords to
bichords is not likely to gain you much at all considering
the amount of work involved.

Yes, anything can be done, for enough money, but who gains
what?

Measure the speaking length of every note and the core and
wrap diameters of several bass notes and I can tell you  how
to improve the scale.

Don't try reinventing the wheel and some of those old guys
KNEW what they were doing.  Don't second guess old
craftsmen.

		Newton