restringing question

Sun, 26 Nov 2000 16:31:38 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Newton Hunt" <nhunt@jagat.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: November 26, 2000 12:16 PM
Subject: Re: restringing question

> Don't try reinventing the wheel and some of those old guys
> KNEW what they were doing.  Don't second guess old
> craftsmen.
>
> Newton

With respect, that wasn't my point at all.  I second-guess the old craftsmen
all the time -- there is much that can be improved with most of these old
scales.

It's just that in this case there is far too little information available.
It sounded to me like an arbitrary change was being contemplated without
sound technical reasoning supporting the change.  In general, mono-chords do
not extend up far enough with the transition to bi-chords being made
prematurely.  In this case, they are used to what is probably quite a
reasonable point -- at least it seems so without knowing more about the
scale -- and nothing would be gained by making this change.  Quite likely,
the results would not be as good as the original.

Which is not to say that the original scaling itself is reasonable, just
that the number of mono-chords seems reasonable for a scale of this type and
probable size.

Del