Alternative to thumbtacks

BUNKYPIANO@AOL.COM BUNKYPIANO@AOL.COM
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 06:45:05 EST

For an alternative to thumbtacks, which have to be removed to hear the
piano's normal sound, here is a suggestion.  (For uprights only)

Take a piece of 2" masking tape and decide how wide a section you want, ie.
center section above bass break to a couple of octaves above.  Lay the tape
on the strings at the hammer strike line, and graphite the tape which will
give you a pattern to transfer to a heavy to medium cloth...I use a
lightweight bellows cloth..  By cutting approx 1/2 to 3/4 inch up and down on
the string pattern you will then have a small ear which you can attach paper
fasteners.  I use OK paper fasteners.  Many uprights have a center pedal
which used a damper felt which dropped down between the hammers and strings.
If you have one of these, you can just glue your cut out to the rail and
you're in business.  Has a great rinky-tink sound and control is yours.  If
no pedal is adaptable, you can use a throttle cable or the like...
tom mc nabb