Fazer bridge? ahem...ahem..

Kristinn Leifsson istuner@islandia.is
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 19:46:19 +0000

>Perhaps you should then... you would be suprised me thinks to see just how
>much the
>humidity does swing inside. It dont have to be like this 60 % swing you
>see in some
>places. 10-15 % is enough to get a piano moving.
>

> > But what happened was that everything *except* the bass dropped.  Spot on,
> > from the first bass note.
> > The bass is still right up to pitch and in tune.
> > And the rest of the piano is "relatively" in tune with itself, that is, the
> > lowest tenor note upwards.  Did you get that?
> > Why would a drop in humidity not affect the bass?  And donīt tell me itīs
> > because of longer strings :-)
>
>This is normal for a minor seasonal pitch change. Bass bridge is closer to
>the edge
>of the soundboard and this area is less affected when the board is moving then
>areas closer to the fat of the board. As for string length... I have heard
>that and
>a few other causes... but the only one that makes a whole lot of sense to
>me is
>
>Richard Brekne
>RPT, N.P.T.F.
>Bergen, Norway

Hi all,

thanks for your help.  I particularly agree with the bass bridge position
towards the edge.
Just so you know, I have, moi, myself, also seen the difference in pitch
change between treble, tenor and bass before (itīs not like every house is
a great one or that piano owners look out for their pianos like weīd like
them to).  But they havenīt been so clear cut before for me.  It just
reminded me of that little spinet that changed when I moved it.

So, ahem, perhaps Iīll get a little thingamajig (I canīt believe the spell
checker actually has "thingamajig" in it) Richard.

I thanked you in advance, but what the heck,

thanks,

Kristinn