sluggish aeolian spinet action

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 22:19:59 EST

In a message dated 11/27/00 8:33:56 PM Central Standard Time, elee@amug.org
writes:

<< Hi LIst,

     I have to work on a Hallet & Davis Aeolian spinet.  The action is very
 sluggish and it isn't because of the keys which would have been an easy fix.
 Any recommendations and/or short cuts? Is protek recommended or something
 else like silicon/naptha that baldwin recommends.
     Would the real solution be to reflange all the culprits, this isn't an
 easy task being a spinet.
     What about using heat on the action centers, with a modified heat gun?

     Any and all suggestions would help thanks,

 Eliot Lee >>

Eliot

It depends on what is sluggish. You mention that it isn't the keys. That
leave two other areas: the hammer butt flanges or the wippen flanges. You can
see easily enough if it is the hammer but flanges. Depress the damper pedal
and work the left pedal, slowly. If the hammers do not come back all together
with the hammer rest rail, then the problem is the hammer but flanges. If
they all work, but the keys are still sluggish, then it is the wippen
flanges. In either case, there is no easy solution. You have to remove the
action, and repin each flange. You can try Protec first, but that has never
done the job for me. In the long run, the flanges get sluggish again.

Good luck.

Willem