smelly piano

Christopher Witmer cdwitmer@spamcop.net
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:49:40 +0900

Clean all surfaces that you can access as well as possible, and then
place a prodigious quantity of activated carbon or charcoal (real
charcoal, not the barbeque briquettes made of charcoal dust and a
binder) inside the piano. As long as it is charcoal or activated carbon,
just about anything should work. Poorly made charcoal will have a
creosote-like smell of its own (not likely unless it's homemade), but
properly made charcoal is totally odor-free and will absorb odors well.
Charcoal dust is something you DON'T want so you should use large
pieces, placed inside a piece of cloth or something that allows air to
pass through but not dust. Charcoal works better than activated carbon
but has more of a dust problem. An aquarium supply shop will have
probably have activated carbon "gravel" available for filtering aquaria.
This approach can be augmented if necessary by a household air purifier
unit in the same room as the piano. (Such a unit also removes odors
through the use of activated carbon.)