Finishing where you started

Wed, 29 Nov 2000 09:03:46 +0100

Phil, as I understand your posting, you perfectly describe the need for overpull
in pitch raises.

Phil Bondi wrote:

> Using this procedure, can someone tell me why, when I am all done and ready
> to pack up, when I go to see where A4 is at, it is normally -1.5 to -2 cents
> from A4?
>
> my next piano was a newer Wurlitzer Grand..this was its second tuning..A4
> measured -4.8 when I started..so instead of off-setting from -4.8, I decided
> to add 2.6 cents to the A4 number, bringing it to -7.4..THEN I off-sett and
> set A4 and tuned as I usually do.
>
> When I was done, A4 was dead-on the money.
>
> My addition of 2.6 cents was pure luck..there was no calculating on my
> part..i just knew that I had to start with a lower number to get it to
> finish at A=440.

> When I use the SAT to tune a piano(pitch-raises), my tuning procedure is
> quite different. I do not use any temperment strips..rather, I use 2 rubber
> mutes and tune unisons as I go..and every time I get done, no matter how
> flat that piano was, it always ends up at A=440.

How are you useing the SAT.. Are you setting it to do a pitch raise ?? It has a
built in overpull mechanism I believe..?

> Am I doing something wrong with my aural procedure?

Not hundred percent sure I read your posting correctly, but if you are not over
pulling a bit on your aural tunings for pitch raises you will be flat when you
are done. Exactly how much overpull is needed is fairly predictable, and the
ETD's do a great job of calculating this for you.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.