zapper for sluggish action

Bud Schwab budschwab@earthlink.net
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 09:16:57 -0800

Hi Norm,

You are right, two amps is sufficient.  The higher the current the quicker
it works.  Too high current could certainly char the bird's eye in a short
time.  A two amp would be better for beginners although I suppose it could
burn out the transformer easier if overloaded too long.  I was going to
check Radio Shack today; I'm glad to hear that they have transformers of
that sort.
Thanks for the info.

Bud

At 01:10 AM 11/29/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi Bud and all,
>
>The biggest objection I have seen to the use of a "zapper" is charred
>birdseyes.
>The zappers that I have seen are as you have stated filament transformers and
>in my opinion are much too large for the job.
>My zapper uses a 12 volt transformer from Radio Shack rated at 2 amps. This
>is enough to heat the center pin and free it up. Obviously this would
>damage the
>transformer if it was held on too long but you do not need to do that. A
>second
>or two is all that is needed.
>
>Norm Barrett
>Memphis Chapter P.T.G.
>

>Bud Schwab wrote:
>
> > Hi Susan,
> >
> > I got an inquiry from Dan Hallett today and I am sending along the answer I
> > sent to him.  I'll contact you guys tomorrow when I find out a few things
> > as to availability of parts.  I guess I don't have your email address so I
> > can just send it to the list.
> >
> > Hi Dan,
> >
> > The basic part of the zapper is a transformer that delivers a low voltage
> > at a fairly high current.  I used to use what's called a filament
> > transformer that was used in radios when they had tubes.  I am going to
> > Radio Shack tomorrow and I'll find out what is available for that purpose,
> > or there are radio supply stores here in the Los Angeles area.  You just
> > run two wires from the two low voltage side of the transformer and put some
> > type of metal strip at the end to contact the centerpin.  I will write
> > again in a day or so when I find out where you can get the material and let
> > you know.  I hope that's clear enough.  I never saw any of Mehaffey's
> > zappers so I don't know how they looked, but you can get a box to mount the
> > transformer with a jack to plug the wires in.  There are many physical
> > possibillities as to how it could be constructed.  Please let me know if
> > you have further questions.
> >
> > Bud

                                                 Bud Schwab
W 6 Z Y P