how high(low) do you go?

Wed, 29 Nov 2000 23:01:42 -0500

Thanks one and all for the input on this subject.  It would seem there
are (surprise!) varied approaches to this situation.  For me, I guess I
would draw the line around 10-12  cents sharp, more as a 'gut comfort
level' than anything else.    But 28 cents high,,,, no thanks!  And I
tune most of 'em at pitch.

Thank you Stan for your input on playing brass and other instruments to a
non-standard pitch.  I have no doubt that it gets dicey.  I am still a
bit curious, though, what range you WOULD be comfortable with.  Is 5
cents low comfortable?  10 cents low?  I ask so that when I am requested
to tune a piano to a pipe organ and other instruments may be involved I
can adequately inform the client of the inherent problems with tuning low
beyond a certain point.  Of course A-440 is ideal, but not always
realistic, I'm afraid, for the pipe organ tech.  A bit like taking an
elephant for a walk, eh?  You follow more than you lead...

And thanks to Ron N, for the most entertaining answer, including the
suggestion of a 49 heater bar, 23 tank sanctuary chaser for a remedy!

I can see them now, hanging from the rafters.....

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com