removing Backchecks

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 22:29:05 -0600

Hi Eliot,
             I'll bet you have to do more than just replace the back
checks.  The hammers probably has a number of deep grooves in the tails
that are causing the checks to get chewed up.  They are also angled with
respect to the hammer rail, resulting in poor checking in the bass.  They
need to be tailed to a 2 1/2" radius. with the tail being parallel with the
hammer rail.
The check wires are the spline type,  ( not threaded)  use a pair of vice
grips to grip the wire at the base, use a block of wood as a fulcrum at the
back of the key, and lever the wire upwards.
To install the new checks, refit the stack, and set the correct hammer
line, if you have tailed the hammers it will change quite a bit due to mass
removal.
Install the new checks on the keys at the end of each section, with the
correct hammer line, the centre line of the shank should bisect the top
third line of the check.  Line the other checks to the samples.
Use a block of wood on top of the check to tap them home. A firm piece of
thin plywood slipped between the key and the back rail felt will give
support when tapping the check in.
Hope you allowed for a full days work.
Regards roger

At 05:20 PM 29/11/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi List,
>
>    I have to replace Backckecks on 2 Samick Grands with that synthetic
>stuff that sheds all over the action.
>
>    IS there a tried and true method of quickly removing Backcheck wire from
>the base of the key?
>
>    I am afraid I might damage the keys in removing them.
>
>Thanks, Eliot

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.
306-665-0213