Gabler Square left pedal function.

Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:25:16 -0600

At 21:11 11/30/2000 +1300, you wrote:
>I am currently restoring/rebuilding an 1879 Gabler Square. Complete with
>gold leaf work on the frame.The left pedal trapwork is complete and
>operates a metal lever in a slot running through the body of the
>instrument. And there it ends. I am curious.  What was the left pedal
>function. Does any one have a description or photo of such a mechanism. It
>would be appreciated.
>
>David Jenkin

That sounds like the typical moderator mechanism.  You will probably find
an unattended screwhole near the other end of the hammer slot.  Between the
two was mounted a curved batten (matching hammer slot) with tabs of felt or
leather which were meant to "moderate" or softer the strike of the
hammers.  Modern equivalent is "practice" pedal which drops a strip of felt
between hammer and string in verticals.

Hope this helps.

Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer - Luther College, Decorah, IA
Ignorance doesn't kill you, but it will make you sweat a lot.-Haitian proverb