need help cutting felt neatly

Sun, 01 Oct 2000 11:59:56 +0200

PNOTNR@AOL.COM wrote:

> list,
>
> Two questions:
>
> What do you call the stepped series of counterbearing ridges in the capo
> section?  I mean where each unison has it's own ridge.

I believe you are refering to the Front duplex. Origionally the one and only
duplex as it was patented by Steinway as such, but later on the word duplex has
become to be associated with any so called "tuned" non speaking lenght. This
section you refer to is now called the front duplex scale.

> and (more importantly)
>
> How do you NEATLY cut the understring felt (bellymen felt) to match it?  My
> current attempts are functional, but they aren't pretty!

You dont really have too. There are large round felt pieces made for this
purpose. You see them all the time. Just insert one under each unison. If you
like cutting your own felt you can get punching cutters from Schaff I would
suppose.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.