Wanna be piano tuner (long)

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 21:01:55 -0400

Dear Melissa,

Welcome to the list!  It's good to hear from you.

I'll offer a few comments for you to chew on, although I feel confident
you'll receive many useful replies.

First, I'd like to say, you've already done some things right!  You've
decided to become a part of the PTG.  I was misguided at the outset of my
career to believe that the PTG was a collection of the "good ol' boys", and
not a worthwhile place to associate.  It's only within the last 2 years that
I have come to find out how wonderful this organization is, and regret
having spent so much time away from such a great group of collective minds.
I've found a group of friends and colleagues here who are second to none.
You've also discovered "the List", (this thingy you're reading right now).
This is a wonderful exchange for thoughts and ideas.  Yes, there will be
stuff you won't necessarily be interested in right now, but there's a lot of
good stuff that'll come along too.  And you've discovered, as well, that you
can ask a question!

You already have Arthur Reblitz's book.  You don't mention whether it's the
first edition, or the second edition.  The first is good.  The second is
even better.  I don't think you'll find a much better overall book on piano
service, and is probably superior to most of the "home study courses" some
of us have taken.  I took one too, and would probably have been better off
to buy Reblitz's book instead!  If you're planning to join the PTG anyway,
you can get some excellent information from them.  (The materials are
cheaper for members!, and membership dues aren't all that expensive.)  They
have study guides that are intended to help you prepare for the tests you'll
take for the RPT status, and will teach you how to do useful stuff too!.
They also have a series of books (which are also available on CD if you
like) which are reprints of in depth articles that have appeared in the
Journal over the years.  They deal with some of the more involved repairs,
but might be something that would be useful to your learning curve.  There
are no doubt quite a number of books out there, and some of them excellent
resources.  It helps to know what specifically you're trying to learn about.
There are even a few videos available, such as from Jim Coleman and some
others, that may be quite useful.  (When you join the PTG, a subscription to
the Journal, which is one of the main trade magazines, is included in your
membership.  In there, you'll find a whole world of information, who's who,
who does what, who has what for sale, who has a 'great new book', tips and
techniques, simple tools and jigs (some of which are easy to make yourself),
all kinds of stuff.  And when you get to one of the conventions, regional or
national, you'll find all kinds of classes, everything from beginner to
advanced on most any subject you can think of.  And more friends than you
ever thought possible as well!  (There, I think I've scratched the tip of
the iceberg!)

You wrote:
<snip>... I should read the book thoroughly; buy the best
> equipment I can afford -- <snip> buy some of the other videotapes and
books recommended at the back
> if the book and study them; and then hire someone who is already a RPT to
> teach me one-on-one until I get the hang of it.  I also plan to join the
> Piano Technician's
> Guild.

All good things.  Definitely, read the book.  Definitely, join the Guild.
(When you join the Guild, you'll meet lots of piano technicians, and will
soon discover who in your area may be capable of teaching you some things.

I'll throw out a couple of other things you can think about.  I know you had
a negative experience with your other 'home study course'.  There is another
home study course that might be worth taking a look at, and that's Randy
Potter's course.  (He has a website, and several people on this list have
taken his course.)  It is probably one of the best, if not the best of the
home study courses.  If there's not much activity in your local guild
chapter, it's certainly worth a look.  Another thing you could do to gain
some knowledge and experience would be to find a large store in your area,
and go to work for them.  If they're a large store, they probably have
several technicians already, and it might be an opportunity to work side by
side with another technician, learning from them.  A large store will also
give you a variety and quantity of pianos to service that will give you a
LOT of experience very quickly.  I don't mean to skate around your question,
but there's not one 'right' way to go about learning.  You have to take
advantage of what you have available or can make available.

What equipment?  Good question.  Your equipment depends upon what you expect
to be doing.  Most people want a nice tuning hammer, some rubber mutes,
maybe a temperament strip or two, and some basic hand tools like screw
drivers, pliers, wire cutters, and some basic regulating tools of which
you'll become familiar as you go along.  I would hesitate to tell you to go
out and spend a wad on tools without knowing why you need them.  (And, for
what it's worth, it's not the $199gazillion tuning hammer that causes you to
go from a horrible tuner to a great tuner.  I sometimes still use my
"student hammer", the one I got with the lousy home study course I took.  In
some instances, it works just fine.)  This is one place where working around
other technicians could be an advantage.  You'll see what they're using, and
might be able to try out their tools, deciding for yourself if you like them
before you buy them.

As far as where to get stuff.  If you need something like NOW!, another
technician in your area is probably a good place to try.  When you join the
Guild, they will encourage you to establish a relationship with several of
the piano supply companies out there.  There are several.  Two of my
favorites are Pianotek, and Schaff Piano Supply.

> Is there anything else I should know about?

No doubt there is.  But you'll discover that along the way.  Everyone has
their own, more or less personal, experience in the world of being a piano
technician.  What works well for one, might not work for another, and vice
versa.

Hang in there on you quest.  You'll find your way.  In the meantime, there
are a few hundred of us on the list, and many who will offer help or advice
for the asking.  Keep in touch, and let us know how your way progresses.

Best wishes,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net