Wanna be piano tuner

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sun, 01 Oct 2000 10:13:16 -0400

> Is this the truly the best way to learn?
> What equipment do I need to buy?  Where should I get it from?
> Should I reconsider taking a correspondence course?
> Is there anything else I should know about?

Dear Melissa,

You ask such hard questions.  The ones that will effect the
rest of your life.

My name is Newton Hunt and you will likely find some of my
few post posts in the archives.  I am known as the old
opinionated curmudgeon around here.  That being said...

I have taught piano technology as my full time occupation in
a structured two year course and I have taught individuals
from the beginning and I have taught people already in the
field to help upgrade their skills.

I went to a two year course in Vancouver WA and have been
trying to figure out this business for the last 38 years.
When I think I have a grasp on it all I forget it and have
to start all over again.

The technology in this trade has been changing more in the
last ten years than in the last century so it is a moving
target.

You are an adult who has thought abut this for a long time
yet young enough that such a career change will be possible,
appropriate, long lasting and it can profoundly change your
life and livelihood.

The best school is the one in Boston, a two year course as
well, the most comprehensive school in this country.  There
is one in Toronto Canada.  There are more but these are the
best ones I know of.

It is possible to learn from an individual as an apprentice
but this route leaves great holes in your education that
will take years and cost vast amounts of time, effort and
money to completely fill, if ever.  You could also associate
yourself with someone like myself that is retired and has
the time to devote to such a project.  I consider these
means inferior to a school despite the fact I have taught
and have many teaching aids to help along the way.  It takes
_time_ and a close and trusting relationship.

The vast advantage of going to a school is that you can
start making good money with good skills, as an independent,
immediately after graduation which is not always the case as
an apprentice or private tutors.

School is the most expensive route there is but I think
those on this list who have had the advantage of schooling
will attest to it's advantages.

I am retired but never seem to run out of things to do but
you would need to live near me, New Jersey, for us to be
able to work together on teaching you the trade as would be
the case with anyone else you work with.

Please bear in mind that it takes as much time, and often
more, to master this trade as it does most any other 19th
century skills.  A master carpenter usually takes eight to
ten years to reach that level and so does a competent piano
tuner technician.  Two years in school and three to five
years of field work with continuing education can produce a
concert level tuner and technician.

Consider how long it took you to learn and _master_ court
reporting.  The endless hours of practicing, the endless
hours of class instruction.  A new life's work will take as
long or longer because you will need to learn the
technology, the techniques, master the skills and retrain
your senses to new perceptions.

I am not trying to discourage you but trying to make you
understand that you will be biting off a huge chunk to chew.

You can be independent, work for yourself, determine your
own hours, make a decent living, meet wonderful, educated,
art involved and generally successful people practicing your
craft.  I worked my craft for 35 years and would be hard
pressed to think of a different route for my life than the
one I chose.  I am, by my lights, successful because I know
enough to fool most of the people into thinking I know more
than I do.  I have written, spoken, taught and earned the
respect of a few of my peers.  _I_ have given some people a
new lease on life and of that I am inordinately proud, I
have made a difference in the world, a very small one but a
difference.

You should buy your tools after you have learned how to use
them so you will know what size, type and quality to buy and
know how to select those that fit your hands.

I have pulled your leg a bit here, in fun, but I am pleased
you wish to make a difference in your life and that you have
chosen the same path I was forced into but accepted and did
well in.

Good on you.

If you wish you can contact me by email, nhunt@jagat.com,
phone 732-339-9378 or come to New Jersey.  Next week I will
be in Illinois working with another technician, in his shop,
helping him with his specific problems and general
knowledge.

I look forward to hearing from you.

		Newton J. Hunt
		PTG member since 1965