Puzzler for a quite Sunday. :-)

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Sun, 1 Oct 2000 19:19:44 -0700

OK Jim, I think I've got it.  The upstop rail was warped and you needed to
put some felt behind it.  Am I getting close...;-]

Hey, we had it down to the action cavity...

David I.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sent: Sunday, October 01, 2000 5:47 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Re: RE: RE: Puzzler for a quite Sunday. :-)

<<"If I may sneak in another try,Oh heck just tell us!  Sostenuto rod
brackets?

Tom Driscoll">>

Ok it's after 8PM and no one is really really close.

Answer: The damper upstop rail was warped inward at that point to where it
was almost but not quite touching the belly bar. The upstop rail had washers
between the rail and the belly bar thus holding the rail away from the belly
bar. When the three keys in question were played ff the middle key would
move
the  underlever hard enough to make the rail 'slap' the belly bar, thus
producing a "click" type noise. When the keys were played fff  all three
keys
would produce the same type of 'click' noise. No other keys displayed this
attribute.

 Since the upstop rail was a one piece affair the removal of said rail was
not an option at that time. There also was not enough room to 'shave the
back
of the rail in position...so I took a felt mute, loosened the closest
holdown
screw. Put a little dab of glue on the mute tip and slid it behind the rail,
trimmed off the unglued portion of the mute, tightened the hold down screw
and no more
clicks!! :-)

 I have never run acros this problem before that I can recall so I thought
it
would make a good puzzler.
Y'all were on the right track though! :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)