Schaff buys American Piano Supply

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 07:39:50 -0700

Most catalogs have the prices separate or if they don't should.  I believe
in doubling what it costs me to cover handling and my profit margin.  I
certainly don't think this is in any way a case of "duplicity".  Traditional
would be more like it...

David I.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Susan Kline
Sent: Monday, October 02, 2000 7:27 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Schaff buys American Piano Supply

>I also like their price list set-up, a very simple markup.  I show the
>custormer the price in the book, It's great for customer relations.  On
>bigger ticket items I even give them a break.

Actually, the "retail" price list (200% of true price) is one thing I'd
enjoy watching quietly fade away. It seems an embarrassment to me, and
means I could never show it to a customer, because I would have to
explain why the company would print inflated prices. I can hope that
the bad old days when a company _assumed_ that most of us would like
the chance to deceive our customers are over. Not that we shouldn't
mark up parts prices, but we shouldn't need to hide the fact that we
are doing it. Life seems easier when there isn't that shadow of
duplicity between us and our customers, IMHO.

Susan