EuroPiano

Mon, 02 Oct 2000 18:02:46 +0200

Recently one Jan Grossbach did an article in the EuroPiano Journal about
key weighting where he expounded on the vitures of useing lead in keys, and
the evils of whippen assist springs. I reacted mildly at the time
thinking... ah well... another passionate attempt to justify ones own
personal preference with so called "facts". This past issue contained a
short rebutal to that artical by a Michiel van Loon. In his statement was a
reference to David Stanwood and his approach to action weigh off.

The reply to this rebutal really kinda irked me. In particular his
reasoning for dismissing the use of whippen assist springs. His logic was
limited to the statement..."I can not see any advantage in a low tension
spring. If it is so weak that it does no harm, then one can leave it out in
the first place"

One could just as easily turn that type of reasoning around in regards to
the useage of lead in keys in relation to the inertia concern. Doing so
reveals the ridiculousness of such argumentation. "I can not see any
advantage in the use of small amounts of lead in the keys. If the lead is
so light as to not create any inertia concerns, then one can leave it out
in the first place".

What bothers me about this kind of thing is that Mr Grossbach is a "highly
respected authority". In being so he and others who have that same kind of
reputation have a particular responsibility to justify their argumentation
in a sensible manner and to be openminded.

I am left with the feeling that Mr Grossbach simply has a personal and
subjective disdain for the use of whippen assist springs and in his
unwillingness to admit this personal bias attempts to justify his position
"scientifically". (youda had to read the origional article to get my
meaning here I suppose). He discounts Stanwoods proceedures without further
reasoning.

There are good reasons for and against on the question of whippen assist
springs. That they can be successfully employed should not be a matter of
question by any serious mind. To insist that useing assist springs is an
inferior approach to key leading is ludicrious. Personal taste is one
thing, defining ones own personal tastes as some kind of universal truth is
another. I would have thought a fellow with Mr Grossbachs reputation was
carefull enough to avoid this particular pitfall.

I yield the proverbial soapbox to my fellow listees... grin.
--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.