Hitch Pin Placement

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 18:02:39 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@KSCABLE.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, October 02, 2000 11:51 AM
Subject: Re: Hitch Pin Placement

> > Hi Terry,
> >
> >The piano builder may have been trying to increase bearing in this area
> >compensate for the natural tendency of the bridge to roll.  That is my
humble
> >guess.  I'll let the rebuilders on the list guide you in whether or how
> >improve it.
> >
> >Sincerely,
> >
> >Doug Mahard
>
> Hi Doug,
> Which tendency is that? Don't know about that one, but if there was a
> tendency for "bridge roll" there, wouldn't having the hitch pins offset
> toward the bass INCREASE any such existing tendency?
>
> Terry, are these hitch pins on the bass side of the first strut, and out
of
> alignment with the string simply to clear the strut?
>
> Ron N

Hi Ron, thanks for writing. Yes, they are the first five notes/10 strings in
the low tenor. The hitch pins are set off to the bass side of the bass
bridge area. I guess that would be on the bass side of the bass-most strut -
the one that begins and ends adjacent to A0.

>Willem

>You mean on that extra one on the left?  <G>

And no Willem, there are no extra pins. Definately the right pins, and
either the bridge pins/notching or hitch pins or both were put in a
misaligned manner. As I have moved/subtracted/added hitch pins previously
because of rescaling, I have no problem with doing that. I was just curious
if anyone had experience with this condition in the low tenor - maybe I
could justify leaving it if I knew it was of no consequence! Otherwise, I
guess I should move them.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida