Key Ratio

Tue, 03 Oct 2000 22:22:55 +0200

In my continuing exploration of Stanwoods stuff I ran into an interesting
little dicrepency on my Duysen Grand action today. I have been scratching
my head a bit about the apparently high Key Ratio figure obtained by the
Standwood method. This hovered around .60 grams on all samples. Haveing
rechecked a few times without finding any other result I decided to measure
the distance between the center of the balance hole, and the capstan center
on the one end and the end of the key on the other end.

To my suprise the measurements in lenghts resulted in a Key Ratio of 5.6.
Course I rechecked this several times to see if I could get the ratios to
coincide better but ended up with no real change.

The distance from the center of the capstan to the center of the Balance
pin hole was 12.1  cm and the distance from the center of the Balance pin
hole to the key front was 21.5cm. The only thing I can think to explain
this is that Key ratio figured by lengths has to be taken from about 1 cm
back from the front of the key. Is this how its figured then ??

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.