Choosing Steinway D

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 17:30:28 EDT

Lance writes:
<<What, if any, _other_ things should I be looking at and possibly

listening to to help me choose the "best" one. I understand that prep work

may still need to be done to improve each one and that further voicing will

change them.  It will be in a 1500 seat church with amplification used. I'm

wondering if certain aspects of the manufacturing process, fit of parts,

condition of piano in it's new condition may help me to narrow down the

field.  >>

Greetings,
   The first thing I would look at would be the let-off buttons.  If they are
helter-skelter, something else in the action is, too.
   Are the keys really low, or high?  How close to the cushions are the
hammershanks? You don't want them way up in the air, and you should consider
how much aftertouch is in that dip when you look at the shanks.
   Are there areas of excessive lacquer in the hammers?  How about the action
shift, is it at the limit,one way or another?  Maybe really look at the
bridge pins, are they all very even?
Just a few thoughts,
Ed Foote RPT