Choosing Steinway D

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 20:05:38 -0700

Lance,

What fun!  I would like to have the pianist with me if I was choosing, but
if not I'd listen closely to the killer octave for sustain and tone.  Pluck
the strings also in this area just to see if the hammers are reproducing
what is possible.  Play notes in different areas from PPP to FFF and see if
the tone/volume keeps increasing or does it hit a wall and stop.  Check for
lots of extra leads in the keys which would mean geometry problems.
Evenness of damper lift with pedal and keys, general workmanship.  Perfect
bridge work, not hairline cracks.
I just read JimRPT's advice and I agree it would be nice not to have to make
the final decision but...

David I.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Lance Lafargue
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2000 1:26 PM
To: pianotech listserv (E-mail)
Subject: Choosing Steinway D

I will be at Steinway Hall in a few weeks and I am helping a church choose a
piano.  I have been to the factory and Steinway Hall and I'm familiar with
what I will be hearing as far as differences between pianos, but my question
is: What, if any, _other_ things should I be looking at and possibly
listening to to help me choose the "best" one. I understand that prep work
may still need to be done to improve each one and that further voicing will
change them.  It will be in a 1500 seat church with amplification used. I'm
wondering if certain aspects of the manufacturing process, fit of parts,
condition of piano in it's new condition may help me to narrow down the
field.  Again, anything other than how they sound/play on the floor.  I hope
my question is clear.  Thanks.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter