aural - Korg MT1200

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Wed, 04 Oct 2000 18:07:48 GMT

Ed wrote:

From: "Ed Kucharczyk" <ek@bestweb.net>
Subject: RE: Aural?

I use an ETD (Korg model mt1200) which I find to be very efficient and
accurate to set the temperment. Once the temperment is set, I put it away
and tune the rest of the piano aurally. By doing it this way, I find that
the temperment is set both accurately and quickly and then my musician's ear
tells me the piano is not only in tune but also sounds naturally pleasing to
the ear.

Hi Ed- welcome to the list!

I'm very familiar with the MT1200, I used it for a few years before moving
on to RCT.  Go back and read the manual, the Korg is only accurate to +/- 1
cent.  So keep on your toes and use your ears, 'cause the machine doesn't
have the precision or accuracy to do a fine job on its own. (check those
thirds!)  Use the built-in stretch, and shift the scale to +/- 25cents
instead of +/-50 cents.  Also, if you use manual noteswitching, the needle
responds better and quicker, than if the box has to figure out what note you
are playing.  Figuring an overpull by sight is pretty easy, just estimate
25-30% higher than the note was flat to begin with. (gets easy with
practice)

Ron Koval
Chicagoland