Spring Conundrum - update

Wed, 4 Oct 2000 12:48:24 -0700

Good point, Don.  But, I've been there and done that as well.  You can =
take the friction down to less that 2 grams and still get the same =
function.

Next time I have one of these available I'll take a closer look and try =
to figure out what is going on.  Rarely work on a Baldwin these days, =
though.

Del

-------

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Donald Mannino=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: October 04, 2000 8:33 AM
  Subject: Re: Spring Conundrum - update

  Matt,

  I didn't notice if anyone suggested repinning the repetition lever =
tighter.  This symptom in a Baldwin action can be caused by excessively =
low friction.  When the hammer center, knuckle friction, and rep lever =
friction are all low, they will do this.  The best place to add the =
friction back in is at the repetition lever center pin.

  You should measure about 4 grams of friction at the rep lever skin (at =
the drop screw) with the spring disengaged, wippen held sideways.  If =
the friction is very low here, the rep spring regulation will be =
problematic like you have described.

  As Del said, the action will still work, but if you get it to stop it =
should work better.  Set the backcheck regulation as high as you can =
without grabbing on hard blows, too.

  Don Mannino RPT