Aural?

Ward & Probst wardprobst@cst.net
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 20:07:29 -0500

Dear List,

On my way to Texas State Association Seminar but I have thought about this
thread for a while now. It has appeared on the list under several subject
headings over the years. They say there is no one so reformed as a reformed
smoker. It is my experience that the use of the tuning fork or the ETD is a
matter of personal preference to some degree. I would say that state of the
art ETDs are difficult to beat for consistency and accuracy in my
experience. I was a strictly aural tuner for 20 years after starting out
with an ETD. I was so proud to learn to tune aurally that I disdained the
use of ETDs (and even the users) for years afterward. As Mr. Dylan said, "I
was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."
However one achieves the results that satisfy their customers and give them
pride in a job well done is great. I would just suggest that to consider
another technician less able or competent because of the tools or methods
used can be a bit judgmental. Viewpoints change with time and until you have
been in someone else's shoes, give the benefit of the doubt. I will use
whatever tool I can find that will give me better results regardless of what
it looks like or how it is perceived. I prefer not to float pitch. I insist
on consistent, verifiable results which I can record and compare over time.
As I said on the list when the subject came up before, you can have my ETD
when you pry my cold dead fingers off of it. Your mileage may vary.

Best regards,
Dale
Dale Probst, RPT
Member, TEAM20001