felt and leather knuckles compared

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 07:56:50 -0400

>This is the scan of those two different types of knuckles that I found on
>the S&S  piano.  If there is anything in particular that I can determine
>about them please feel free to ask and I'll do what I can to determine it
>for you.

Well. John's photos certainly win the argument for the felt knuckle's
durability!
My experience with these knuckles was on a S&S B which was in
dreadful condition (and which I was required to get "concert ready"
in under 2 hours). I probably should have just turned around after
telling the hall manager "Sorry, it can't be done -- here's some
phone numbers for emergency rentals."
So I must admit my opinion of felt knuckles was colored by the
overall gestalt of that situation. It's interesting that the photo
shows the knuckle wood core to be off center -- which probably added
to my horror at the instrument (loose pins, jumpy pins, badly worn
hammers, loose center pins, hinges torn off the lid, etc.) I was
working on, but apparently unjustifiably on that score).
It wasn't a good day. I'm glad that these knuckles can appear under
more pleasant circumstances.
By the way, regulating the buckskin knuckles side by side with the
felt knuckles must be a real trip!

Patrick Draine