ET just as easy as HT? (was aural - sounds nice?)

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 09:36:25 EDT

In a message dated 10/6/00 8:20:03 AM Central Daylight Time, JIMRPT@AOL.COM
writes:

<< Well we are never going to see eye to eye on this Bill Because I think you
 are as wrong as you think I am..........since we both are hardheaded and
 stubborn and both 'right'...we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

Well, Jim I can back up what I say.  As usual when talking about
temperaments, I refer to the teachings of Professor Owen Jorgensen RPT.  The
primary reason that he (and consequently I) feel ET is best for the PTG
Tuning Exam is that it is the most difficult of all temperaments to execute
properly.  If you can do it, you can do anything, so to speak.

The very reason that few tuners could tune ET before the 20th Century is
because of the amount of information required to do so.  This information was
not available back then.  To tune ET, you must make 3 *estimates* before you
can make a single check.  Even then, it is possible to make errors along the
way because of the *unavailability* of adequate checks and proofs that the
temperament is progressing properly.

In many HT's by contrast, absolute *proof* that each and every interval is
correct is available at each and every step thus allowing the tuner to know
with ease and for sure that the temperament is as intended.  Add that to the
fact that small errors *do not* affect the outcome of a typical HT as much
and you have a strong argument to support the statement that "ET is the most
difficult of all temperaments to tune."  One glance at the instructions for
ET in Jorgensen's book shows how complicated it is compared to the relatively
simple instructions for most HT's.

What evidence to you have to support your argument that ET is no more
difficult in terms of + or - cent errors than any other temperament?

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin