Mileage procedures

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 09:42:14 EDT

In a message dated 10/5/00 6:40:29 PM Central Daylight Time,
clarks11628@juno.com writes:

<< Dear List,
    My company is struggling with how to implement mileage charges for my
 services.  I never charged mileage when I was on my own, so I am not sure
 what most dealers do.  Round trip or one way?  Zones or actual miles,
 etc.  I know that I will not charge mileage until we work out a procedure
 so that we can give a figure over the phone, as some customers will not
 accept a figure quoted, plus mileage.  When you get to their house, they
 remember the figure, not the plus mileage, and will likely get angry when
 the bill is for a higher amount than they remember.  What do you all do?
 Clark Sprague
 Associate Member
 Detroit/Windsor >>

You should be reimbursed for your mileage. Call your accountant and ask how
much you are allowed to deduct for mileage for work. That is how much you
should be reimbursed. You also need to ask him how that is recorded on your
income tax forms.

I do know that for tax purposes, you are not allowed to deduct the mileage to
your first appointment, and home from your last appointment, unless you are
leaving from your place of employment. In other words, commuter miles. If
your shop or office is at home, you are leaving from your place of
employment, so you can deduct all your miles. But if you are working for a
store, and you do a tuning for the store, then you cannot claim the miles to
your first appointment.

Willem