Damper Ringing

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Fri, 06 Oct 2000 22:09:29 -0700

Terry,

Piano owners can suddenly get real picky after a tuning, especially if
you didn't come highly recommended but they just found you in the yellow
pages. I had a customer complain that I had removed 19 dampers from her
grand piano and didn't put them back!

After getting a couple of these calls, I decided to work a little
smarter. When I first arrive at a new customer's house, I inspect the
piano and notice anything that needs attention. Ideally, the owner
should be in the room while I take off the case parts and do my check
out procedure. If it seems like more work is required than just the
tuning I was asked to do, I'll usually bring it to the owner's
attention. They may decide to have me do the additional work at that
time or at a later date, or at least they are aware of the piano's
condition. The side benefit is that I'm not likely to get blamed for
problems that we both know existed before I began the tuning.

Except I don't usually bring up about the 19 missing dampers. ;-)

Tom Cole