Stanwood Touchweight

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 22:20:52 -0400

I'm trying to knaw through my first go-round with the Stanwood Touchweight
system.

I want to do as much myself as I can. My plan is to do the SmartChart method
on my own, then pay the $150 and see what Bob Marinelli at Pianotek comes up
with. I want to understand as much as possible.

I'm doing my work on my own piano, a 7 year old Boston GP178 (5' 10" grand).
I have made all my measurements. I have followed the instructions on page 5
"Coimponent Touchweight Balancing with the SmartChart" sucessfully up to
step 6 - Using Strike Weight Ratio results along with the existing Strike
Weights to determine the new Strike Weight level................  I am
totally lost at this point. Am I supposed to average Stike Weight Ratios and
use that - or use individual ones for the few keys that were measured?
Average or individual Balance Weights? My Wippen Balance Weights are between
9.1 and 9.9. The Stanwood graphs of Strike Weight VS. Strike Weight Ratio
specify a WBW spec of 9.0. Does this mean mine are bad? Is the 9.0 some kind
of target? Where does the 9.0 come from and what do I do with it? I am
totally lost with what to do with what in this area.

Then on the same step 6 is a note that addresses what to do if your Strike
Weight Ratio level is undesirable. How do I know if my Strike Weight Ratio
is undesirable? What makes one desirable and another undsireable? My SWR are
between 5.1 and 6.0, with an average of 5.77 for the six notes measured.

Anyone care to share some knowledge? Also, does anyone have a copy of
Stanwood's June 1996 PTG Journal paper "The New Touch Weight Metrology" -
that might help quite a bit - depending if procedural details are in the
paper. Thanks

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida