Damper Ringing

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 13:30:16 EDT

In a message dated 10/07/2000 10:44:37 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
btrout@desupernet.net writes:

> Damper springs can be strengthened a bit, kind of like what you do to a
>  repetition spring.  I wouldn't get to radical with this one, but it's
>  something you might consider exploring if need be.

Just make sure this is worth your time by banging on a bunch of bass notes,
then pressing lightly on all the bass dampers at once with a dowel or
whatever. Often the ringing is due to compromises in the design which cause
the dampers to be slightly misplaced from the ideal. In this case pressing
harder will not improve matters. Sometimes longer dampers will help.
Bob Davis