Concert Attendance

JStan40@AOL.COM JStan40@AOL.COM
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 21:21:42 EDT

In a message dated 10/7/00 6:44:05 PM Central Daylight Time, Gina writes:
<< Being at rehearsals has tremendously improved my respect for the musicians.
 It's given me the opportunity to learn the difference between good and not
 so good conductors. Watching, hearing, them refine a piece of music is an
 incredible experience. These people know when they need to improve and they
 do it. That's what rehearsals are for. The downside is that it makes it
 difficult for me, as it does for them, when reading a review by a critic who
 has no concept of how hard these talented people have worked to make the
 music truly enjoyable. (That's why I rarely read reviews anymore.)

Gina!

You've brought up JUST one of my favorite pet peeves.......critics frequently
write reviews as though the audience were THEIRS.  My advice is to ignore
them.....that way you won't get caught in the conundrum of agreeing with them
when they agree with you.  Personally, I began to question myself when I read
reviews with which I agreed....so I don't read them any longer!

Stan Ryberg
Barrington IL