separated back

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 06:51:32 -0400

Friends,

Today I am going to look at a piano I might obtain and repair.  It is a
1947 Cable console with a separated back, a gap of about 1/2 inch, and
it has an aluminum plate.  I tuned this piano a couple times 5-6 years
ago.  Not being very observant, I guess, I didn't notice the separation
until the third time I went to tune; it had wood veneer glued across the
top.  If I recall correctly, it's a pretty little thing, a shame to
discard, but Cable pianos aren't rated very high in my mind.

I've repaired back separations several times, with good success, but
never one with such a large separation.  What are my chances of pulling
this gap together without the aluminum plate cracking?  Should I even
attempt it?  Input appreciated.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT