Piano or Not a Piano

Thu, 12 Oct 2000 13:09:37 +0200

This Wurly burly post has, as is inevitable with this kind of discussion,
diverged and degenerated into a host of varying subject matters. It always
amazes me how this particular theme get to thee degree off point. But to
zoom in on what actually is at root here is really not so difficult.

Point 1. The right of any piano tech to draw his/her own lines as to what
quality in material and workmanship is acceptable.

Point 2. The manner in which said piano tech expresses such judgement in
daily work with pianos.

Point 3. The responsibility (if any) piano techs have in affecting and
influencing quality in the manufacturing of instruments.

Point 4. To what degree these matters are instrument specific.

Point 5. The right of any piano tech to choose not to work on any specific
piano, or type of piano.

I suppose there are others... but this will suffice to show how easily we
can end up talking about different sub issues and throwing grenades at one
another.

All of these issues  have grey area borders and its difficult to draw any
precise lines. At some point however things get beyond rights and opinions
and go over to the area of realities, and at that point it is absurd to try
and defend a particular "instrument". To snub or disdain a piano tech for
basically setting high standards is to my mind of thinking truly
disdainable. That some piano technicians have a tendency to base their
judgements on too high a degree of subjectivity is of course unfortunate,
but it is very human indeed and given the nature of this buisness extremely
understandable. We should all (and I mean ALL) strive to better our
abilities to look objectively at such issues, and increasingly equip
ourselves with knowledge of our disciplin to do so.

That certain specific piano makes are subject to high degrees of skepticism
by the piano tech community at large is a clear indicator of that
manufacturers general quality. That simply can not be brushed away by any
kind of commentary from those who dont like what they are hearing, nor by
pointing out the unfairness of generalization. The higher the percentage of
our technical community that expresses said skepticism, the higher the
degree of truth that lies therein.

The technical community at large represents to no small significant degree
a force within the industry and society at large which affects influence on
the general quality and awareness of this. This is true whether we use this
influence conciously or not, or are even aware of it. We can not shirk the
responsibilty this entails by simply espousing free market concepts or
citing differing perceptions. Our influence as individual piano techs, and
as a community of techs remains. It is up to us to decide what to do with
this power. And decide we do. We exert influence and bear the
responsibility for that influence whether we want to admit it or not.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.