Keytop replacement

Thomas D. Seay, III t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 10:13:41 -0500

>I got a call from a customer to tune her Yamaha
>upright (she's not sure of age) and repair/replace a
>chipped keytop. Two questions:
>
>1) Does Yamaha use the one-piece, molded keytops?
>2) If so, what's the best way to remove them? Would a
>heat gun work?
>
>I've done a number of keytops with separate tops and
>fronts (and haven't had to replace the fronts), but
>have not yet tangled with the molded keytops.
>
>Thanks for your help. I've been a way from the list
>for a while, and since I e-mail from work, am not able
>to access the archives to research this subject.
>
>Jerry Hunt
>associate member PTG
>Carrollton, TX

Hi Jerry,

To the best of my knowledge, Yamaha uses seperate tops and fronts.
All the Yamaha pianos we have here at the University of Texas, circa
1978, have seperate fronts and tops.

BTW, these have got to be the EASIEST keytops to replace of any I
have run across. They fit the keys perfectly and very little filing
is ever needed.

You can order Yamaha keytops from Schaff.

Regards,

Tom

Tom Seay
Piano Tech Office