new wheels for Steinway D

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 18:15:18 -0500

Thanks David.  Have you tried a double rubber wheel on a concert grand?  Can
it take that pressure?  I've had even the tri-wheel rubber wheels (small
dollies) break apart under a concert grand.  Thanks.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter
lafargue@iamerica.net

  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
David Skolnik
  Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2000 4:55 PM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Re: new wheels for Steinway D

  Lance,
  It's not clear entirely clear from your post, but it sounds as though you
are describing a single brass or steel wheel  such as Steinway #008760.   If
this piano is being used on a stage, why wouldn't you use their double
rubber caster #8734?  It's a Darnell  ballbearing caster with additional
bearings around the wheel hub.  I'm not sure the Steinway style wheel comes
in more than one hardness, but the Apsco (bless them) version does (less the
hub bearings).  These wheels can, in fact, roll too easily, at times.   Good
luck.

  David Skolnik
  skolnik@attglobal.net

  At 08:49 AM 10/12/2000 -0500, you wrote:
  >Dearest list,
  >I have two customers with new Steinway D's.  The new ones have a wheel
that
  >is even smaller (and rounded as opposed to flat) than the older ones.
This