separated back

Lynn Rosenberg Lynn@eznet.net
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:31:50 -0400

Well, I have several comments to make on this subject.  My first question,
does the piano have plastic in the action? Is they're still down bearing?
Since you're getting the piano, or, it is available for you to get, how much
is it?  If it is free for example or for example $100, it might be a good
learning experience.  You have to answer all these questions, and decide
what you want to do.  I've repaired many separated backs, but none with that
much gap.  The pianos I've repaired, the gap only allows a spachuela to get
into, so I just take out one screw at a time, use a 14 inch long bit, drill
through the back, and through the post, and after install a 3 eights
carriage bolt, of the proper length, and proceed to the next one.  I saw an
old Haynes upright piano, where you could put you're hand between the back
and block, but didn't repair it because the sound board was shot.  Lynn
Rosenberg