Gram Gauge

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 14 Oct 2000 18:51:34 -0400

I looked at that web site and saw the 65GG guage. It says it is accurate =
to within 1/3 a graduation. It appears that graduations MAY be each 5 =
grams. That means at best it is accurate to within 2 grams. But I think =
you would be hard pressed to use it and compare your results with anyone =
using a regular gram weight set. Especially when you consider the art of =
 setting the appropriate amount of weight on the key end and giving a =
little bump to overcome friction and then watching to see a uniform =
hammer rise. How would you watch a hammer rise with this gizmo? It =
appears that it is only for static resistance, it cannot measure the =
resistance of a key in motion. Spend the bucks and get a good gram =
weight set.

Pianotek has a real nice one for $125 on Page B-5. The one on B-25 is =
for static resistance. No good for key down and up weight. I have Bill =
Spurlock's which are also real nice. Pianotek's may be a bit nicer in =
that they lock together when you need to have two weights on the key, =
but I like my set just fine, thank you. I may have paid a bit more for =
mine than Pianotek's.

The other way to do it is to get the real cheap set from Schaff and use =
an accurate scale to modify the weights so that they are actually =
accurate. Much easier to just call Pianotek and order. Be aware though, =
the instruments you have cited in your post are for static measurements =
of resistance, not for anything that includes a dynamic form - like =
weighting off a set of piano keys!

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida