Sohmer

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:18:29 EDT

Et Al;
 There has been quite a bit of fault finding with the Sohmer 45S and I
thought I would just present a contrasting view........well not really
contrasting but a different slant perhaps.

 While it is true that the Sohmer has some tuning instability across the
break and it is true that the last two tenor notes of  the 45S are 'almost'
untunable there is much to be said good for them.

 While I was doing University work I had 26 of the Model 45S to care for in
one school and 16 to care for in another school. some of these instruments
were purchased back in 1964 and none are younger than 1976.

 Almost every one of these Sohmers are in daily use as of today. Aside from
the normal maintenance that any instrument should receive they have performed
with yeoman like service.  Many Everetts, Baldwins etc. have passed through
the doors of these two institutions, been used and discarded because they did
not hold up as well as the Sohmers.

  Both of these Schools are involved in Manufacturer University deals where
the Manufacturer supplies new instruments and replaces some of the Schools
instruments for a year or so.  'Almost' every piano sold by these two schools
to make room for the new pianos were something other than the Sohmers.

 Do the Sohmers I was responsible for have some tuning instability
problems?.....
Yes they did/do but no more than the Baldwins, Everetts, etc. albeit in
different areas and for possibly different reasons.

 Bottom line..........the Sohmer 45S provides very good value for the dollar
spent and provide much better service than some other brands, in my
experience. Would I ever recommend the purchase of Sohmers as opposed to
another brand?  Yes, depending on the dollars available and the opposing
brands being considered.
My View.
Jim Bryant (FL)