Manufacturer University Deals

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 19:19:50 EDT

In a message dated 10/16/00 10:27:28 PM !!!First Boot!!!, cedel@supernet.com
writes:

<< Friends,

 I'd like more information on these university sales.  They are advertised
here
 from time to time as a way to save lots of bucks buying a piano that is used
only
 one year.  I've always considered them suspect.  Would some of you like to
 educate me?  Thanks.

 Regards,
 Clyde Hollinger

In St. Louis the Steinway/Baldwin has all the major universities lined up to
hold "university sales, about 4 or 5 times a year. From all accounts, they
are very successful. The last, several weekend ago, reportedly sold 85
pianos.

Although as technicians these sales are great, in that over 250 new pianos
are brought on the market, in reality, they are a rip off for the consumer.
The dealer advertises that pianos "used by the university music department"
are on sale at "tremendous" savings. As a side note it is mentioned that
"other" pianos are also available.

All but about 5 or 6 pianos sold are brand new. Yet somehow the consumer is
duped into thinking they buying a piano "used" by the university. On top of
that, some of them are even led to believe the university is getting some of
the proceeds. Many customers who have bought these pianos at university sales
actually thought they bought the piano from the university.

The sale prices on these instruments are only slightly below MSRP, but do not
include moving or a tuning. In fact, most are not even prepped.

Maybe I am jealous that another dealer is taking away business, but even
before I was a piano dealer, I didn't think the sales were very ethical.

Willem