stretching new bass strings

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 22:55:49 -0600

Hi Terry,
             I don't recommend using too much pressure on the string to
stretch it, as in the stretching of plain wire.
Make sure the string is well seated at the hitch pin, and other bearing
points.
Make sure the coil is nice and tight.
Open the damper pedal and settle the string with multiple rapid heavy blows.
Mute the other bi cord string when doing this, as you will run a risk of
breaking it.
Keep doing it untill you can't knock the string out of tune.
I always recommend changing both strings on bi cords. The unison will
behave a little better, and will be less noticeable. The voicing of the
note is also a lot easier.
Settling replacement bass strings on a grand, I use the una corda, to keep
the damper open.
Repeat the agressive treatment on your next tuning.
The string will have settled in quite well after the second tuning.
Regards Roger