Different question about heater bars

MBrat70179@AOL.COM MBrat70179@AOL.COM
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 23:06:05 EDT

Hi list

Let me preface my question by informing the list that I live in Indiana.
Our humidity (in home) usually cycles from 65% in the summer to 30% in the
winter.  Again these are averages of "in home" readings.

I have been of the understanding that the heater bars used by Dampp-chaser
are used to decrease humidity.  This is done by heating up the air around the
heater bar.  Warm air holds more moisture than cold air.  So, moisture is
drawn out of the piano and into the air... right?

The question is: in the absence of a humidistat should the heater bar be
unpluged in the winter?

The piano in question resides in a church.  Note:  The temperature regularly
falls to 60 degrees during the week and back up to room temperature during
services.   Also, I have not serviced this instrument and have no humidity
readings from the site.

I don't believe the heater bar should be used as a substitute for heat.  I
contend that the heater bar will compound the lower humidity (its' intended
purpose).

Without installing a humidistat or complete Dampp-chaser system, should the
partial system be unplugged in drier seasons?

Deeply pondering in Indiana

Mike Bratcher