Different question about heater bars

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 07:32:54 -0400

Mike,

Yes, it should be unplugged in the winter.  I agree with the other responses that
a humidistat is highly advisable at the least.  It will sense whenever the
humidity is too high and snap on  and off automatically.  Without the humidistat
there is no control.  What happens if you have low humidity for a week in the
summer?  It adds to the piano's stress by lowering it more than it should.  And
during fall and winter months there can be a warm wet spell, but the unplugged
heat bar can't help correct that.

Another problem is that people forget when they are to pull the plug, or they get
things switched in their minds and pull the plug in the summer and plug it in for
the winter, which exaggerates the humidity swings in the piano.

In my mind, especially critical is the strength of the heat bar.  I find pianos
with little 15-watt bars from time to time.  I doubt they can do as much good, or
damage, as the current 50-watt bars.  I'm pretty sure I heard a Dampp-Chaser
representative say getting enough dehumidifying power is a challenge as it is.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger