Different question about heater bars

Thu, 19 Oct 2000 00:21:00 +0200

Farrell wrote:

> Gee whizz Richard. You of course know that it pains me to an unimaginable
> extent to suggest that my thoughts might be more valid and someone else may
> be, er, a, less than correct, BUT.....

You isolate the system far too much, and over simplify the situation as such...
grin... Number one.. you cannot discount the back side of the piano.. or the
exterior of the piano otherwise... Equilibrium will always take the easiest
path. And the easiest path is air ... from wherever it leaks in...

That being said..... you will have to some degree the affects as you describe
them below... But on the other hand, you will also have the affects as I
describe them. Raising the temperature does indeed also lower RH in the interior
of the wood... whats good for the goose is usually (and in this case as well,
good for the gander.

Your Kiln example is a much more isolated system to begin with. And if it was
completely and totally isolated... where on earth do you think these water
molecules would migrate to ??? You put a panel into an oven that is already dry
inside... thats how it draws out water.. this isnt exactly the same process as
damp chaser creates.. tho admitedly some of the same functions are at work.

I think you would aggree that takeing a panel and puting it into a kiln which
has the same moisture content in the air as the panel does in the wood, sealing
the kiln and turning it on wouldnt have exactly the same effect.. now would it.

This humidity thing is always fun... and dont worry... even if I am blowing air
out of my better end,,, I still enjoy the conversation.. grin.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.