Different question about heater bars

Eugenia Carter ginacarter@carolina.rr.com
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 21:13:20 -0700

Terry,

Obviously you haven't had the good fortune to meet the folks from Dampp
Chaser. This company is one of the few who actually does Research and
Development. The people there are exceptional about assisting technicians.
They freely give advice, just as you saw today when they corrected me. But,
if you noticed, the method Roger used to correct me was a positive,
informative one. That is CLASS, and class is what Dampp-Chase has in
abundance.

Do they work hard to sell their product? Of course they do. How else to make
sure their company succeeds? Are their marketing techniques "hype." Nope,
not in my opinion.

Next time you can, do talk to these people. I think you will end up
respecting them as much as I do, and I don't think I'm the only one who has
a similar opinion.

My 2 cents.

Gina

----- Original Message -----
From: Farrell <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2000 4:58 PM
Subject: Re: Different question about heater bars

"This humidity thing is always fun... and dont worry... even if I am blowing
air out of my better end,,, I still enjoy the conversation.. grin."

Me also!........But. Look at Dampp-Chaser marketing propaganda. All their
graphs about soundboards. Now I don't really think that they truely
represent the results of any particular experiment, but rather trends they
are trying to exemplify (although I do believe they should state that some
of the data in their brochure might be a bit idealized). Anyhow, as the RH
decreases in air in a piano, the soundboard Moisture Content also declines.
Moisture content is water in wood. Lower moisture content means less water
in wood. That means the water left the wood. It is no longer there. It does
not have anything to do with the amount of water the wood may be able to
hold (like RH). This is a central issue in wood technology - manipulating
the moisture content of wood.

It really, really is true. You can trust me! I is edgeekated. I got me a
deegree in Forestry (two lives ago)! So there! Top that!   ;-)

  Terry Farrell
  Piano Tuning & Service
  Tampa, Florida
  mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com