University Sales

BUNKYPIANO@AOL.COM BUNKYPIANO@AOL.COM
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 21:20:53 EDT

I agree with Larry in supporting piano dealers.  As a tech/tuner as well as
the dealer, I promise you it's no bed of roses out there, competition is
steep...My main concern also is getting a quality product out there, one
which the customer will be proud of and one which will leave me satisfied
once I leave their home.  Don't get me wrong, the repair aspect has raised 6
children and been my bread and butter for 25+ years.  It's just that when
attrition has arrived, you must recognize and call it like it is.

What does get to me are the manufacturers themselves.  Their "reps" are not
interested in the fact that we as techs are representing their product, and,
if we believe in their model and brand, that we are also laying our
reputations on the line.  I know of one rep in particular who, even when I
had $50,000 of his new pianos on the floor, cancelled my franchise because I
was not selling enough.  I refused to low-ball a product which I
whole-heartedly believe is a superior product, KK.  Mr C was not interested
in the product, my or it's reputation and longevity, only numbers.  That is
one reason why I suppose they have these armory and university sales,
pressure from the da_n rep.

I suppose the big-box stores will start selling acoustics as well as
digitals, didn't sams have grands in their warehouses?

Mom and pop stores are closing their doors as manufacturers effectively
eliminate them..Those of us who refuse to sell at cost are the only one's who
truly appreciate the instruments we market and service.  I'm sick and tired
of looking in Musicians friend and finding products that I stock for sale at
a lower price than my "cost".  It's the same thing as stocking beautiful
acoustic pianos only to have the entire market saturated with cost+
instruments.  I will not be handling products in the future that are mass
marketed and given away.

An aside, sorry to ramble, thank goodness for manufacturers like Peavey who
sell the same price to all their dealers, do not allow catalog sales and who
nurture and support their dealers, there are not many left, maybe in the end,
there will be none left, but then again, there will be no physical stores,
who knows , maybe the pianos will deliver, uncrate, prep,  tune and repair
themselves. They will have to, because without local mom and pop stores, all
the techs will be are factory reps themselves, because there will be no
stores.  In essence, we will simply be an extension of the assembly line.

tom mc nabb
<A HREF="mcnabbmusic.com">Mc Nabb Music & Piano Co</A>