Different question about heater bars

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 08:24:31 -0400

Genius or not, Forestologist or not, trustworthy or not, right or wrong, =
maybe we should just ask ......did someone ask a question about "drawing =
 moisture" from a soundboard"? Should we just wait and see if there is a =
need for any more enlightening discussion? Where are you on this? I have =
a sneaky suspicion what the results of a vote would suggest! Maybe a =
truce until we hear from Ruth Phillips? It sounded like she had =
something concrete on her mind. Later!

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Brekne=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2000 6:18 AM
  Subject: Re: Different question about heater bars

   =20
  Farrell wrote:=20
    "This humidity thing is always fun... and dont worry... even if I am =
blowing air out of my better end,,, I still enjoy the conversation.. =
grin."=20
    Me also!........But. Look at Dampp-Chaser marketing propaganda. All =
their graphs about soundboards. Now I don't really think that they =
truely represent the results of any particular experiment, but rather =
trends they are trying to exemplify (although I do believe they should =
state that some of the data in their brochure might be a bit idealized). =
Anyhow, as the RH decreases in air in a piano, the soundboard Moisture =
Content also declines. Moisture content is water in wood. Lower moisture =
content means less water in wood. That means the water left the wood. It =
is no longer there. It does not have anything to do with the amount of =
water the wood may be able to hold (like RH). This is a central issue in =
wood technology - manipulating the moisture content of wood.=20

    It really, really is true. You can trust me! I is edgeekated. I got =
me a deegree in Forestry (two lives ago)! So there! Top that!   ;-)=20

      Terry Farrell=20
      Piano Tuning & Service

  Terry... its not that I am saying that you are wrong in what you =
state... its just an incomplete description. The question was something =
to the affect of "does Dampchase work by drawing water out of the wood". =
My answer was simply "not exactly". And that stands. The  picture is =
more complex really, and to my mind of thinking a better description of =
what DampChaser does..is the following. It attempts to set up and =
maintain a mini climate in which the soundboard and the interior of the =
piano is included. This climate is held at a RH of around 42 percent as =
best as the system is able to achieve. How it does this is indeed a bit =
more complicated then saying simply that it "draws moisture out of the =
panel".=20

  DC, will draw moisture out of the wood, will heat the wood, and will =
lower the RH in the wood. These three things interelate, until some kind =
of a equillibrium in RH is achieved.=20

  Look at it this way Terry,,  You heat the air in the piano, RH drops =
and non-equillibrium is created and wood starts to respond by seeping =
out some of its moisture... but then you have also heated up the wood, =
and its RH drops also increasing its capacity to hold moisture. Its not =
going to want to let go of so much of that moisture anymore... and if =
the woods capacity to hold moisture exceeds that of the surrounding =
outside air it will want some of that moisture... course it will also =
act as a heat radiator to some degree which sets up the same kinda thing =
going on the back side, albiet to a lesser degree.  Same happens with =
the air inside with relation to the air outside. Actually, Damp Chaser =
will try and get this whole mini climate to respond to the outside =
climate as one unit. Breathing in and out moisture and heat as =
neccessary to maintain an RH in an average of 42 % which dictates a wood =
moisture content that is conducive to pianos enjoying their lives.=20

  So... I say again... to say that Damp Chaser works by "drawing out =
moisture from the soundboard" is not exactly right...=20

  Trust me on this... I was born a genuis... Grin..=20

  Great fun Terry.=20