HT Experience

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 11:30:10 EDT

In a message dated 10/19/00 10:00:48 AM Central Daylight Time,
cedel@supernet.com (Clyde Hollinger) writes:

<< HTs have gotten a lot of discussion the last couple years.  So are we on
the
 edge of abandoning ET as the "normal standard" in favor of something else
like
 the Valotti Young you mentioned? >>

No, Clyde, we are not.  I have often thought of this issue as being parallel
to the "English as the Official Launguage of the US" debate.  Many are
surprised to learn that the US has no official languge although the
government has always used English for official purposes.  There is nothing
in the PTG bylaws about ET anywhere, not even in the official Exam.

ET is what is most commonly thought of as being "standard" but it really
never was and never will be.  It is something that only the most highly
skilled tuners could do until recently.  Now, with better knowledge and
electronic tuners, more people can do it but they are also discovering that
what has always been considered the one and only goal is merely one of the
many choices that could be made.  What we are on "the edge" of doing is
creating a far broader understanding of what is possible and what will work
best under the many circumstances that piano technicians face in their work.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin