Yamaha voicing...and the famous Newton!

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 18:30:47 EDT

Greetings,
<<Newton and I voiced it down (needle) a bit when he was here in Central
 Ill. Aside from installing different hammers to make it not sound like a
 Yamaha. What do you suggest?

    I would suggest that you keep needling before you replace them.  Soften
them hammers up, leaving just a little really hard felt down deep under the
strike point.  The shoulders will feel like marshmallows.  Whats to lose?

>I have experience with steam voicing.
 Controlled, using a wet cloth and a electric hammer iron. I'm reluctant
 because of the discussion that went on here a few weeks, months ago
 about not steaming Yamaha hammers. Teacher is willing to spring for
 different hammers. >>

   The steam is so cheap and quick, if she is willing to spring for hammers,
go on and take the existing ones down to their absolute softest and see what
she says.
Regards,
ED Foote RPT.,