CA and Bridge Pins

Ward & Probst wardprobst@cst.net
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 21:23:33 -0500

Okay Susan,
Since no one else will admit to doing this procedure, I confess I have done
it a few times. My experience indicates that results are somewhat better if
you tilt the piano but every little bit helps. As far as method, I used a
putty knife(or spatula) to catch the runoff. Maybe cracks are bigger in
Texas but I found no need for accelerator. By the time you finish tuning the
CA is pretty well set. I have lowered the string, pulled the pin, filled the
hole w/CA, inserted the pin, pulled the string up with excellent results. I
have also just applied CA with reckless abandon (blush) and had pretty fair
results. Kinda depends on what you are working on and how long you like to
lay under the piano with CA fumes. By the way, ventilation is pretty
critical, I usually use a fan to persuade fumes out of the house even for
this small use.
Would a class on CA and its uses interest anyone attending Reno?

Hope this helps,
Dale
Dale Probst, RPT
Member, TEAM20001
PTG Annual Convention
Reno, NV --July 11-15, 2000
email: wardprobst@cst.net
(940)691-3682 voice
(940) 691-6843 fax
TEAM2001 website: http://www.equaltemperament.com/PTG/

Yes, I'm sure it would help to tilt. The point was that I wondered if
it might still be possible with the upright _not_ tilted, since water-
thin CA follows cracks so well through capillary action. Assuming, of
course, that you could introduce it a drop at a time, so it wouldn't just
run off.

The point would be that it could be a _quick_ repair, done without fuss
on a note or two as needed. I'll have to try it and see if it's possible.
That Starr has nothing to lose, anyway.

Susan